The Secret Life of a Third Grade Teacher
Welcome to Mrs. Adams' Class
Monday, January 13, 2014
Vocabulary Week 14
- spectators are those who watch a sports contest or other public happening.
- when you face shows great joy, you are beaming.
- if someone is poised to do something, they are reading to spring into action at any moment.
- to assist is to help.
- when you feel so bad in your body or in your mind that you can hardly stand it, you feel anguish.
- when something is a priority, it is so important that you do it before anything else.
- when an audience claps long and hard for someone, they are giving that person an ovation.
Monday, December 16, 2013
Vocabulary Lesson 13
- if something is ordinary, it is common and not special in any way.
- an apology is something you say or write to show someone that you are sorry for what you have done.
- when you scowl, you frown as if you are very angry.
- an ambitious person wants to do well in their work.
- a mischievous person likes to play tricks on other people.
- if you have sympathy for someone, you show them that you share their sadness for whatever troubles they have.
- when you scan something, you look at it quickly to find important or interesting information.
Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Vocabulary Lesson 12
- if you confirm something, you show that it is true.
- if someone is humane, they act in a kind way to other people and animals.
- when you indicate something to someone else, you show them where it is or that it exists.
- a diplomat is a person who works for their country by talking to other countries about problems they need to solve together.
- if someone is gracious, they are polite and thoughtful.
- if you have integrity, you are honest and true to your beliefs.
- an inscription is writing that is carved into something, like metal, stone, or wood.
Monday, November 18, 2013
Vocabulary Lesson 11
- to display something is to show it to others.
- when you orbit something, you move around it.
- if you are paralyzed, you can’t move your body.
- when you achieve something, you have done well and completed something very hard.
- a warp is something that is twisted or bent.
- a coincidence is when two things just happen but seem like they go together
- if you tilt something, you move it so that one end is higher than the other.
Monday, November 11, 2013
Vocabulary Lesson 10
- something that is spiral winds around and around, with each curve either above or outside the one before it.
- when you persuade someone, you get them to think it’s a good idea to do something.
- a ceremony is an event during which special things are done or said.
- disgust is a strong feeling of dislike for something.
- if something is abrupt, it is very quick and sometimes unpleasant.
- if you deceive someone, you make them believe something that is not true.
- when something is stale, it is no longer fresh.
Monday, November 4, 2013
Lesson 9 Vocabulary
- when you throw something heavy as hard as you can, you heave it.
- to sprawl is to lie or sit with your arms and legs all spread out.
- a bout is a contest.
- to defeat someone is to beat that person in a contest.
- the horizon is the line far away where the earth and sky seem to meet.
- something obvious is easy to see or understand.
- when you dawdle, you take longer to do something than is really necessary.
Monday, October 28, 2013
Vocabulary Lesson 8
- a victory is winning a struggle in a war or competition.
- when you admire someone, you look up to that person and want to be like them. When you admire something, you like looking at it.
- when you smear something, you spread a layer of it over something else.
- if you resemble someone, you look like that other person.
- a creation is something that someone has made using their skills and creativity.
- when you pretend, you act like something that isn’t real actually is.
- a disguise is something you wear to make you look like someone or something else.